I find there are different interpretations of what 'sugar free' means, but to me it means no added sugars whatsoever.
I also avoided high fructose foods. So while they're not laden with dates, honey or other natural sweeteners as most other balls and treats are, I personally found that the sweetness from the goji berry and the caramel from the mesquite powder was enough.
These blackforest balls are not only sugar free, they're also gluten free and vegan.
- 1 cup overnight soaked raw nuts (almonds, cashews, macadamias, brazil nuts, or a mixture)
- ½ cup buckwheat
- 2 tablespoons raw cacao powder
- 2 tablespoons mesquite powder
- 1 handful of soaked goji berries
- 2 tablespoons cacao nibs
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon Mayver's hazelnut and cacao spread
Blend the raw nuts, buckwheat, raw cacao powder and mesquite powder.
Fold the goji berries, cacao nibs, coconut oil and hazelnut and cacao spread into the mixture.
Hand roll the mixture into balls.
Coat the outside of the blackforest balls with mesquite powder (optional).
Place the blackforest balls in an airtight container in the freezer.
Enjoy your real sugar free snack!